Position Title: Bicycle Refurbishment Specialist
Reports To: Commissary Manager
Bicycle Refurbishment Specialists are responsible for reconditioning donated bikes for retail sale, the ideal candidate will love bringing a wide variety of old bikes back to as-new condition and be willing to work with the Commissary Team to manage the flow of bikes through the facility. Refurb Specialists must also be able to advise and guide volunteer refurbishment efforts.
This is a full time, year round position that includes paid time off, discounts, credit for free used parts, and a monthly medical stipend. Hours are somewhat flexible.
- Along with other staff, ensure the shop is maintained in a clean and safe manner at all times
- Explain concepts related bike repair and bike maintenance to program participants and volunteers as needed
- Support educational and outreach programming as needed.
- Execute efficient and high quality restoration, overhaul and tuning of a range of used bicycles.
- Operate within system to ensure appropriate bicycles are being refurbished for retail sales
- With Commissary Manager manage commissary inventory.
- Other special projects as needed.
- Minimum of 1 year working in commercial bike shop.
- Minimum of one year working as a volunteer or with volunteers.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications
- Extensive technical and mechanical knowledge of bicycles and bicycle products.
- Knowledge of and interest in refurbishing older bicycles.
- Experience with wheel building, bleeding and maintaining hydraulic brake systems and overhaul and maintenance of suspension systems.
- Passion for bicycles and bicycling communities.
- Ability to instruct others in bicycle repair procedures.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Solid oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated inventory control experience helpful.
Physical Effort Required
- Regular lifting of 50+ pounds
Bikes Together is committed to recruiting and supporting diverse perspectives. We promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. People of color, women, low-income, LGBTQ strongly encourage to apply. Bilingual (Spanish) speaking encouraged to apply
Bikes Together is dedicated to equal employment opportunities and prohibits unlawful discrimination against applicants or employees based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, sex, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, gender expression or any other characteristic protected by state or local law.
To Apply: Send your resume and cover letter as one PDF document to email@example.com. Include the position you are applying for in the subject line. One applicant may be considered for many positions. Applicants are considered upon receipt of application, so don’t delay!