Mission, Vision, and Values
Bikes Together wants to see a future filled with a symphony of human-powered movement. We want to give bicyclists a voice in how they envision their city, and that starts with Bikes Together being a center for all things bicycle related. By having access to education, bike maintenance, and to a bicycle, community members can see and experience the future of bikes. And we believe that future is bright and full of creative possibility. Together we make a better bike world.
We want to get people on bikes and keep them there. We strive to foster bicycling in Denver as a viable means of transportation, and as a means to address wealth and health disparities that exist in our communities. We seek to empower individuals to take control of their transportation, health, and sense of community.
We want to see multiple Bikes Together centers throughout the city of Denver. Each center will have its own unique focus but primarily will serve as an active hub for bicycle education, access to bike maintenance, and access to bicycles through our free/earned bike programs and retail sales. We seek to engage each community we are active in, to sustain the location, and help fulfill our mission.
- Safety – Both on the roads and in our shops. We want people to be comfortable riding their bikes and accessing our programs.
- Personal health – Bicycling improves the body and the mind.
- Environmental health – Bicycles emit infinitely less CO2 than cars both in production and use.
- Creating community- We seek a bike universe based on togetherness, inclusiveness, and building relationships.
- Sustainability – Our Vision is for the long term; keeping people on bikes, recycling and repurposing donated bicycles.
- Diversity – The best thing about bikes is the range of people who access them. Bikes are for everybody and Bikes Together accepts individuals where they are at in life regardless of background.
- Equality – We strive to create equitable access to bicycles, education, and community through our programs and our welcoming shop culture.
- Education – We understand the power of knowledge. Our goals and our success are built on educating those who access us. Educated cyclists are empowered, cyclists!
- Self-sufficiency – People with knowledge are self-motivated, better community members, and future teachers.
- Fun! – Bicycles are inherently fun, but we use that to make learning fun and our community a good place to be.