Counselor In Training
Reports to: Camp Director, specified Instructor and Intern
Season: May 29 – August 15, 2018 (must complete entire two week sessions, can apply for as many you like)
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8am – 4pm
The CIT’s purpose is to assist Bike Camp Instructors and Interns in day to day responsibilities, while building leadership skills, acquiring job experience, and helping to pass on skills and experiences to the next generation of campers.
Essential Job Functions:
- Maintain camper safety
- Mitigate risk during group rides
- Supervise campers at all times
- Assist in daily group rides
- Learn and help navigate routes
- Encourage campers to follow all procedures during rides
- Assist in bike mechanic, riding skills, and route planning curriculum
- Assist in preparing materials for lesson plans
- Assist in employing different learning methods during lessons
- Assist in team building activities
- Lead and participate in specific games and activities designed to encourage teamwork
- Assist in maintaining an inclusive atmosphere at all times
- Assist in community service projects
- Assist in preparing materials for service projects
- Assist in maintaining a team building atmosphere during service projects
Other Job Duties:
- Assist in sign in/sign out
- Clean facility
CIT’s will be required to interact with Instructors, Interns, campers, parents, and the Camp Director on a daily basis. On occasion, CIT’s may need to interact with Bikes Together staff, Bikes Together volunteers, medical and law enforcement personnel, and child protection services employees.
- Bicycle ● Air compressor
- Hand tools ● Power tools
- At least 15 years old at time of camp
- Cycling expertise or experience
- Patience, maturity, leadership skills, and enjoy working with children.
Physical Aspects of the Job:
CIT’s are required to complete daily rides that can range from 1-35 miles depending on the age group they are with. These rides are slow paced and include plenty of breaks along the way. CIT’s must be able to ride a bicycle with one hand while looking in all directions and maintaining a straight line. CIT’s will need to routinely lift 50lbs of weight.