Position Title: Service Lead
Hours: Full-time, 40hrs/week
Days: Tuesday through Saturday, daytime and evenings
Position’s Purpose: Create an accessible bike shop for all while overseeing all aspects of the Service Department
Want to get people riding bikes? Do you believe in the power of bicycles to improve personal and environmental wellness, expand mobility, and facilitate a stronger connection within communities? Are you driven to make bicycle transportation, recreation and mechanics accessible to people who are usually excluded because of race, class and/or gender? If you can answer “yes” to these questions, you belong at Bikes Together.
Bikes Together is seeking a full-time Service Lead at our Park Hill location. In this role you will oversee all day-to-day operations of the Service Department as well as be a resource for staff, volunteers, customers and participants.
We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit community bike shop that supports Denver communities with a range of bicycling programs, services and products. We have 2 locations (Park Hill and Mariposa) with a full-service bike shop offering used bikes, parts, and accessories and an affordable service menu. In addition, we provide a Fix-your-Bike program where anyone can work on their bike with our tools and get assistance from volunteer mechanics, as well as free and low cost bike programs and mechanics classes. The Park Hill location is currently staffed by a full-time General Manager and a full-time Retail Refurbishment Mechanic and is currently looking to hire a full-time Shop Coordinator, and part-time Programs Lead. All current staff are experienced mechanics with an education focus, work collaboratively, and are excited to welcome a new staff member to the shop.
Service Lead Required Duties
General Shop Responsibilities
- Greet customers, volunteers, and program participants who call or come in
- Encourage visitors to collaborate and donate
- Maintain clean & organized workspace, storage areas, and bathrooms
- Attend bi-weekly Staff Check-In meetings and monthly All-Staff Meetings
- Support volunteers and program participants to following shop cultural norms (strive to be feminist, anti-racist, cross-class, and learning-focused) and navigate potential conflict
Service Responsibilities (Biggest part of job)
- Perform high-quality overhauls, repairs and tune-ups on a wide range of bicycles (diverse in quality, age and style).
- Oversee all aspects of service department, including: accurate service writing, inventory management, service schedule management, special orders, timely completion of repair work orders, documentation of repairs, and communication with customers
- Maintain quality control practices to ensure high-quality, guaranteeable, and reputable repairs
- Refurbish donated bikes to high standard for retail sale
- Assist Shop Coordinator with retail sales as needed
- Assist in pricing on all retail bikes, used parts and accessories
- In coordination with Shop Coordinator order parts and supplies needed for service
- Manage inventory in service bay
- Support Fix-Your-Bike Program in coordination with Programs Lead by sharing mechanical knowledge and skills with volunteers and participants
- In coordination with other staff, support volunteers in growing their mechanical knowledge
- Teach 6-part Master Mechanics course and Bike Maintenance 101 & 201 classes, as needed/interested
Basic Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Demonstrated bicycle mechanics experience (bicycle maintenance, repair, diagnosing problems, and identifying compatible replacement parts)*
- General sales & customer service skills
- Experience working with a wide range of program participants (diverse in race, age, class, gender, sexual orientation, and ability)
- Desire to give and receive instruction and feedback
- Demonstrated organizational skills & attention to detail
- Ability to regularly lift 50+ pounds and climb ladders
*Bikes Together is a learning/teaching environment and is willing to support the right candidate in expanding these skills over time.
- Demonstrated professional bike shop experience
- Current knowledge of a wide variety of bike types, accessories, tools, etc.
- Knowledge of and interest in refurbishing older bicycles
- Teaching experience (any topic), or desire to learn
- Knowledge of Google Drive, LightSpeed, and/or ability to learn new computer systems
- Demonstrated accounting/inventory control experience
- Working knowledge of nonprofits and experience working as or with volunteers
- Familiarity with and support for Gender Equality Mechanics (GEM) or similar programs
- Employee discounts
- Earned credit towards used parts
- Paid sick and vacation time off after 3 months
- Monthly healthcare stipend after 3 months
- 5 paid, flexible holidays after 3 months
How to Apply:
Send your resume, two references, and a brief cover letter explaining why you’re a good fit to email@example.com or drop off your application at our Mariposa shop (1060 Osage St) by 5pm February 24th. Applicants may be contacted before the deadline, so don’t delay, apply today! Our ideal start date for the position is the week of March 9th. Interviews will include a quick mechanical skill interview.
Bikes Together strives to create a culture of respect, communication and understanding. People of color, women, poor & working-class people, multilingual people (any language), and LGBTQ people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Bikes Together is dedicated to equal employment opportunities and prohibits unlawful discrimination against applicants or employees based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, sex, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, gender expression or any other characteristic protected by state or local law.